Speed Dating Tips
Speed dating events allow you to experience a series of mini dates with multiple singles in your community and in your age range. In a single, one and a half hour speed dating session, you will have dated at least ten individuals. This compressed format means that you can quickly rule out potential suitors that aren't right for you while also zeroing in on those that are. We've put together a list of tips to help you get the most out of your speed dating session.
• Be yourself – We understand that you're nervous, but do your best to relax and be yourself. Putting on a fake persona or trying to impress others with inflated claims is counterintuitive. The perfect person for you is looking for a person just like you, so be yourself and so that the real you can be found!
• Keep an open mind, but stay true to yourself – You will meet a variety of singles, many of whom you may not have previously considered dating material. Keep an open mind, but remain true to yourself. For example, someone from a different background could be a compatible match as long as your core values are compatible.
• Know what to expect – The evening will move quickly and you'll likely end the night without knowing for sure that you've found a match. Knowing that your time is limited and that matches will be revealed within a couple of days will help you make the most of your time as well set reasonable expectations for what's to come.
• Come prepared to ask questions – You will have about six minutes of one-on-one time with each date. During this time, you will have the opportunity to ask questions. Arrive with a list of open-ended questions that you believe will provide you with real insight into each person's values, interests, and personalities. Open-ended, or probing, questions are those that prompt other people to explain their viewpoints. Try to avoid yes/no questions as these questions prompt a one-word response and don't tell you much other than yes or no.
• Come prepared to answer – Just as you want to get to know your potential suitors, they want to get to know you. Your dates will also be asking you questions about your background, occupation, hobbies, values, religion, and other interests. If you're asked a yes/no question, do your questioner a favor by elaborating. For example, if you're asked, "Do you like scuba diving?" answer with "No, but I love ______" or "Yes, I especially like exploring sunken ships" (or some other aspect that you enjoy).
Most importantly, have fun! Everyone at the speed dating party shares your desire to mingle with other singles and build relationships.